Sunday 15 October 2017

A Beautiful Death

It was the most beautiful death I ever experienced, and I wish everybody could leave this earth the way Margaret did. Since she could not receive Communion as she was so weak, with her eyes wide open, I had just blessed her with the Blessed Sacrament and traced the cross with the Sacred Host from her forehead to her lips, and from ear to ear, said a prayer and gave Communion to her daughter Jane sitting next to her. Then she took a deep breath, and ever so peacefully slipped into eternal life. Of course I had visited her every day to pray with her, and even though she could not receive Communion over the last few weeks, she always insisted on a similar blessing with the Sacred Host. A few days earlier, when she was very weak, and we thought it was the end, after my prayer she opened her eyes, and smiled and said ‘I’m still here – Father Julian, I’m not leaving so quickly, you know.’ I believe I witnessed a miracle on that Monday evening, as the last thing Margaret saw on this earth was Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament, and then a few seconds later, the first thing she saw when she opened her eyes in heaven, was Jesus in person.
Margaret has been a blessing to so many people during her last year and a half at Hilltop Gardens, our Retirement Home in Naxxar. Ever since I arrived here and started the English Mass, she will be here punctually to distribute the English leaflets. She was a major catalyst in bringing in more people to attend the Mass, and now we have a packed church every weekend. Let us remember her children, in-laws, relatives and friends. They’ve covered thousands of miles over the last few months, to Australia and back, and with the frequent flier mileage they accumulated, they should have a free trip to the moon and back. Lord, grant Margaret eternal rest.

1 comment:

  1. What a transition of life - a perfect way to leave this world and go to her true Home in eternal joy....

    ReplyDelete