Sunday 15 January 2017

Personal Anecdotes

Over the years, I've experienced many situations that are inspirational, humorous or sometimes unpredictable, especially where children are concerned. Here are a few of them:
I remember a memorable moment in one parish in New York when I visited an elderly parishioner Bessie, who had a canary next to her chair. Every time I took out the consecrated host to give her communion, the canary would start singing the most beautiful melody, and would not stop until Bessie had received Communion. Then he would quiet down again ! This went on for months, every time I was there. He definitely sensed the presence of Someone Special.

I remember after one of my many Wedding rehearsals, giving directions where everyone should stand and walk, a young 4-year old boy, who was the ring bearer came over to me and asked me innocently, “are you a policeman?”

I remember a mom telling me about her son who saw me in Church during Communion and described me in this way: “Did you see Father Julian standing on that kerb ! He was giving out potato chips to everyone, but didn’t give me any!”

1 comment: